If you own a pet, chances are, you want them to be as healthy and happy as possible, and one of the ways to do that is to make sure that they eat right – and that they have a healthy digestive system.
That’s why we came up with this rundown of the best probiotics for dogs and cats. What we did is scour the market for the best probiotics formulations. We tried to be as comprehensive as possible. We understand that pets have different needs and conditions so we tried to make sure that with the range of choices we reviewed, we were able to cover as many as possible.
Probiotics are definitely a good way to boost your pet’s health. They also help with recovery in some cases healing. There are also specific strains of probiotics that suit certain circumstances and conditions, so study your options carefully.
30 Best Probiotics for Dogs and Cats
For this list, we’ve chosen 30 different options out in the market. Get the most fitting product based on your pet’s needs. We placed them in alphabetical order.
1. Advanced Probiotic Prebiotic Capsules
- Advance Probiotic Dog Health
We start with a product that has been prepared by people who believe that pets deserved to be loved like we do our family members. With this conviction, they produced an excellent product that comes with great features:
2. Animal Essentials Plant Enzyme & Probiotics Supplement for Dogs and Cats
- For both dogs and cats
This probiotic supplement is designed not only with a good variety of bacterial strains. The manufacturer believes enzymes become depleted as pets grow older. So, aside from probiotics, they also included a lot of enzymes in this product. This way, cellulose, proteins, fats and carbohydrates can be easily digested.
Other Animal Essentials Plant Enzymes and Probiotics features include:
3. Crafton's Pet Naturals Dog Probiotics
Crafton’s Pet Naturals
- Supplements with Digestive Enzymes Prevent Diarrhea and Boost Overall Health
This is best for pets with joint cartilage problems. In fact, it was been developed with elderly dogs in mind. The manufacturer boasts that their supplement is produced in an FDA-approved facility. Great features for this product include:
4. Best Probiotics for Dogs, Improves Dog Allergies, Bad Dog Breath, Dog Diarrhea, Constipation
- CHEWABLE CHICKEN DOG TREATS MADE IN USA
Deley Naturals takes the chewy treats approach. Instead of coming up with a powder formulation, they prepared nutritious chicken-flavored chunks for dogs and cats. Features include:
5. Diarrice for Dogs
- All Natural Probiotic for Dogs with Diarrhea with Digestible Rice Fiber to Soothe an Irritated Canine GI Tract
This is the probiotic natural supplement for dogs and cats that are constantly troubled by diarrhea. The digestible rice fiber in this formulation is designed to soothe the GI tract of our pets. Other benefits include:
6. Doggone Best Products
Doggone Best Products Probiotics
- Doggone Best Products Probiotics for Cats with Diarrhea
Another immune boosting product, the Doggone version is specifically made for cats. This is a safe and natural alternative to prescription medication without the accompanying harmful side effects. If your cat suffers from constipation, nausea or vomiting, this is worth checking out. It comes with the following features:
7. GutSense - Certified organic probiotic for dogs
Dr. Gubias Natural Healing GutSense
- up to 2 months supply
This USDA-approved product is specifically for dogs. It is 100% organic. The product is US made which means that its manufacture is subject to generally stricture regulations. Features include:
8. Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics Dietary Supplement for Pets
Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics
- These probiotics for dogs and cats can help your pet's gastrointestinal tract by supplementing their diet with probiotics that flood their system with beneficial bacteria
Entering the market with more than 10 probiotic strains isn’t an easy feat, but this is exactly what Dr. Mercola did with their 14-strain formula. What that means for your pet is an opportunity to flood its system with beneficial bacteria. It also offers the following:
9. Advanced Probiotic for Dogs Elite Dog Probiotics Powder by Elite Pet Nutrition
Elite Pet Nutrition
- Eliminates Diarrhea, Gas, All Natural Non-GMO & Gluten Free - FREE BONUS - Made in the USA
This is another formula made especially for dogs. Elite Pet Nutrition is all-natural, it is gluten-free and it is GMO free. No soy or dairy is used in this product. Additional benefits your dog will get are:
10. NaturVet Digestive Enzymes Plus Probiotic for Dogs
NaturVet Digestive Enzyme
- Great for food transitioning, sensitive stomachs and flatulence.
NAturVet is made with ingredients that ensure fast break down of foods for maximum utilization of nutrients. It contains alpha-amylase for breaking down of starch, protease for protein decomposition, cellulase for breaking down of cellulose and lipase for fast triglyceride absorption. NaturVet is also boasts of the following:
11. InMotion Healthy Dog Treats
Healthy Dog Treats Probiotic Jerky
- Chewable Treat for Dogs Best for Pets Wellness, Gas or Diarrhea
This is another healthy snack treat you can give your dog – in case you don’t like the meal-only supply of powder versions. Main ingredients are sweet potato and chicken. Features include:
12. iDash Pets Advanced Probiotics
Advanced Probiotics for Dogs and Cats
- Best Natural Powder Pet Probiotic Supplement- Relieves Dog Bad Breath, Constipation, Skin Allergies, Diarrhea- Aids Digestive Health
The iDash Pets Advanced Probiotics formula can help provide relief from diarrhea, allergy, and constipation. It can also mitigate bad breath. Other good things about this product include:
13. GNC Pets Ultra Mega Probiotic Formula Chewable Tablet Beef Flavor 180 Tablets
GNC Pets Ultra Mega
- 2 billion probiotics to support digestive health.
A probiotic product that comes in chewable tablets, the GNC Pets Ultra Mega offers 2 billion probiotics for digestive health support. It also comes with additional prebiotics that are there to support the growth of good bacteria. High-grade features include:
14. Finest For Pets TummyWorks
TummyWorks Probiotic for Dogs & Cats.
- Best Powder To Relieve Diarrhea, Yeast Infections, Itching, Skin Allergies & Bad Breath. Boosts Immunity. Digestive Enzymes For Improved Digestion. Made in USA
The company claims that the vision they have for this product is to help pet owners ensure that the tummy of their pet is good-looking and working as it should. With this product, they hope that aside from curing constipation and bloating, skin problems will also be prevented. Other advantages from this product include:
15. Nusentia Probiotic Miracle
Probiotic Miracle Dog Probiotics for Dogs
- Up to 360 Servings
Sometimes, we need a product that can last a long time before we have to make another purchase. For probiotics, this is one good option for that. For every bottle of this supplement, you will have 360 doses and 360 CFU units before consuming it completely. More things to like include:
16. Probiotics for Dogs with Enzymes -Chewables (90ct) -Cats and Dog Tablets
Nusentia for Dogs with Enzymes
- Complete Digestive Remedy for Pets
One more variant from Nusentia is this 90-tablet chewable treat for dogs and cats. Although it doesn’t carry the 360-CFU advantage found in the version above, it is still a favorite among pets and pet owners. It is because of its delicious taste and its power to heal diseases. Once you use this, you are not going to worry anymore about your pets having loose stools or poor digestion.
Things we liked with this supplement:
17. Nutramax 30 Count Proviable Health Supplement for Cats and Dogs
Nutramax 30-count Proviable
- Can be used alone for long-term intestinal health support and balance
Some supplements are so irresistible to pets. This is one of them. Once your pet has experienced the taste, it will insist on having it frequently. He will love it. It’s great for pets with pancreatitis or stomach flare-ups.
18. NutraPet Probiotics for Dogs Chewable
Probiotics for Dogs Chewable
- Best for Smelly Gas and Diarrhea Relief Plus Added Prebiotic and Vitamins Only by NutraPet, Controls Stomach Upset
This one is good if you’re on a tight budget but still want to buy probiotic supplements. It comes with a packaging that ensures customers will have 4-months of supply per purchase. More beneficial features include:
19. NWC Naturals Total-Biotics Powder
NWC Naturals Total
- Veterinarians across the U.S, and Top Show Dogs Recommend and use Total-Biotics
This is one of the probiotics that have survived stiff competition over the years. In fact, it has remained in the top sellers list for over 6 years. When it comes to number of strains, it is also one of the best to consider. It comes with 14 strains. More features include:
20. Particular Paws Probiotics for Dogs and Cats Powder
- Probiotics help alleviate a variety of intestinal issues including diarrhea, irritable bowels, nausea and similar.
This is an all-natural formulation. The good thing about this product is that the manufacturer took the time to give all important details in its description. So, with this product, it is clear what your pet will be getting. Features include:
21. Paw Choice
Probiotics for Dogs with Prebiotics
- Daily Chews for Digestion, Regularity, Diarrhea Relief, Plus Supports Immune System and Health - Natural Supplement & Treat Made in USA,
One of the safest products we are recommending to you is Paw Choice probiotics. One great thing about this formulation is that all of its ingredients have been tested and given a certificate of analysis. Plus the company’s facility is regularly audited by the government. You might want to check if your product has been inspected by the National Animal Supplement Council.
Additional features include:
22. Pet Ag Bene-Bac
Bene-Bac Plus Probiotic Pet Gel 15g Syringe in Safety Seal
- Crowds out harmful intestinal organisms to help boost your pet's immune system.
Containing 7 beneficial live-culture bacteria, this supplement is designed to be a great solution to intestinal imbalance. This formulation has been proven by many to have the ability of boosting pets’ immune system. Features include:
23. Pet Ultimates
Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Dogs
- EASILY-DISPENSED POWDER ELIMINATES CHOKING RISK
When it comes to CFU content, the Pet Ultimates is one good product to consider. Compared to the small contents of other brands, this supplement contains 2,000,000 CFUs per scoop. The manufacturer has been quoted as saying that they can sleep at night knowing that their product is highly safe for pets to use. Tough-to-beat features for this supplement include:
24. Petpost | Probiotics for Dogs
- Powder Supplement for Gas, Diarrhea, Vomiting, & Stomach Relief
For a quick solution to stomach problems, this is the recommended formulation. The manufacturer says that customers have been reporting of relief for their dogs in a few days. This formula also includes enzymes that will ensure fast absorption of nutrients.
Here are more features:
25. Premium All Natural Probiotic & Prebiotic Soft Chewable for Dogs by Power to Your Pet
Power to Your Pet
- Up to 4 Billion CFU’s- Aides in Digestion, Reduces Gas, Bloating & Diarrhea - 120 Chews/Bottle
Another immediate-relief product to consider is “Power to Your Pet”. Though it is a little bit, expensive, many users like using it and it receives high ratings from customers. This is a result of this product’s effectiveness in treating allergies, gas, diarrhea and bad breath. Additional features to consider are:
26. PROBIOTICS FOR DOGS – Digestive Aid Plus Prebiotic
- SAFE AND EASY TO USE
Premo Prebiotic is one name to consider if your priority is CFU or being vet recommended. This supplement also contains 2 billion of CFUs and is one of most recommended options by vets. The next time you make a visit to your vet, ask him about this supplement. Top-end features include:
27. Vet One
Advita Probiotic Nutritional
- Replenishes good bacteria in the digestive tract
Great for dogs of all sizes, the Vet One is a formulation that mixes probiotics and prebiotics. It contains a sizable amount of CFUs, making it a good alternative for more expensive brands that have high CFUs. Additional features worth considering are:
28. Vetri-Science Mega Probiotic Dog & Cat Supplement
- A non-dairy probiotic formulation
This one boasts of being a non-dairy formulation. If your pet has lactose intolerance, get this product. The manufacturer also uses only safe ingredients, some of them even are capable of cleaning your pet’s digestive tract of harmful chemicals.
Check these additional features:
29. Vetrinex Labs
Probiotics for Dogs and Cats
- 3 Billion CFU. 7 Strains - Best Supplement for Relief from Diarrhea, Skin & Yeast Infections, Allergies, Gas, Itch, Bad Breath & Stomach
For pet owners who want to see improvements in their dogs and cats within a short, this is one of your probiotic options. Reports have it that it can correct problems like bad breath and gassiness in just a short time. Here are more things to enjoy from this product:
30. Rocky Probiot
Best Probiotics for Dogs Diarrhea
- No more Loose Stools - Triple Formula Powder for Large Pups, with Added Prebiotics and Digestive Enzymes. A Must have for those Poop Eaters.
For fewer trips to the vet, the Rocky Probiotics is a good option. One advantage from it is guaranteed results with the first two weeks of use. This product is designed to work fast especially in the area of digestion and absorption.
Additional advantages for this product:
How to Choose a Good Probiotic Supplement for Pets
Sadly, not every probiotic product you will see is safe for your pets. They are not as tightly regulated. Thus, even if the probiotic product you are considering is a bestseller, spend time to investigate on it. Know what’s inside the package.
Check the following:
• Included strains – This is top priority. Note each strain. There should be at least 10 strains in the supplement you are considering. To give you an example, in the name Lactobacillus acidophilus:
Genus – Lactobacillus
Species – acidophilus
Strain – DDS – 1
The more strains your supplement, the likelier it is that it’s better at fighting against bad bacteria in your pet’s stomac. This means that the better it can help him fight against diseases. The strain plantarum, for example, can help in preventing cancer and viral infections.
• CFU content – CFU is short for colony- forming units. In the label, it is indicated how many CFUs there are per gram and per serving of the product. The best products contain billions of CFUs per serving.
• Health benefits - The manufacturer should be able to specify the specific health benefits it has for pets.
• Expiration date – It is important that manufacturers mention expiry dates as live bacteria have a shelf life. If the product fails to provide an expiry date, don’t buy it.
• GMP certification – Many probiotic products have been declared unfit for use or do not contain the strains indicated on their labels. Look for the GMP or Good Manufacturing Products seal. If you can’t find it on the label, give the manufacturer a call and ask them about it.