Having a Pitbull is never an exception among people of different societies. It is surely a pleasant experience when people have pitbulls as their pets. But the experience becomes rather hectic if you are not sure what your dog would like to eat or what is the best food for them to keep them healthy and fit for a long time. In most cases, the food and the type of care the dogs needed depend on many factors, like the type of the dog you have, the age, the activity level, and all these things.
For those who are having a Pitbull at home, we’ll be discussing what is the Best Dog Food For Pitbulls and how you can choose the best food items depending on your PitBull’s physical condition and other characteristics.
Our Picks for Best Dog Food for Pitbulls 2018
Top Dog Food
Click on the Best Dog Food brand for Pitbulls for more information, prices and details. Alternatively, scroll down below to read our overview.
In many cases when a person buys a Pitbull, he definitely needs an active, healthy and bulky dog to have it as the pet. Pitbulls are bulky and can lead a healthy life if you can take care of it through proper diet and health care measures. Though most of the dogs which don’t show any specific reactions to various different kinds of dog foods, Pit bulls are a bit sensitive to the various dog foods, hence they need more care and cautions when you are going to select proper food for your pitbulls.
Things To Consider Before The Selection Of Pitbull’s Food
Unlike most of the other dogs that are capable of eating any kind of dog food that comes on the market, Pitbulls need special ingredients to support their bulky bodies and to keep them away from food allergies which are very common among this kind of dogs. So, whenever you need to be sure that your dog is safe from the common allergies, get the special food that comes especially for these dogs only.
The most important things that you must see before you decide on their food items are below:
Avoid getting low-quality protein dog foods
When buying the food for your Pitbull, you should be very careful about the quality of the food you are buying. Due to the fact, most of the dog foods that are given to the other kinds of dogs are manufactured by using the meat by-products.
These foods are low-quality proteins and are mixed with fillers and protein obtained from various grains etc. in case you need to keep your Pitbull healthy and fit, you need to be sure that your dog is getting pure and high-quality proteins instead of the food filled up with low-quality grain proteins and by-products from meat or bones.
Make sure you get the dry food that is obtained from pure meat and has no other kinds of filler components that may ruin your dog’s health.
Avoid the ingredients that cause food allergies and other health problems
In most cases, the pitbulls are prone to various food allergies and if they are given the low-quality protein, getting into the allergic reaction is not an exception and you will your dog’s health going down day by day. So make sure your dog’s food is free from grains and by-products. You can surely check the ingredients before buying the dog’s food and keep the low-quality foods away from its menu.
Give the right calories for your Pitbulls
Giving your dog the proper amount of Calories are important. According to the National research council, the amount of food of the Pitbull and the required calories are subjected to its weight, age and activity level. Though we’ll be considering that the average weight of an adult Pitbull is around 45 pounds and we’ll see what level of calories are required for an average Pitbull. In case you have a heavier dog or an underweight dog, you may alter the amount of food and the calories in it accordingly as its weight per pound.
The most appropriate amount of calories an average adult Pitbull may need is around 1100 Kcal.
Whereas, if your dog is an older Pitbull, you may consider giving it around 875 Kcal. In case the dog has a higher activity level than the average adult dog, you can consider giving it aroudn1750 Kcal for a healthy body development and maintaining a good energy level in the body.
Required nutrients and consistency of the food
Giving your dog the right kind and the right amount of ingredients in the food is the best way to ensure the health of your dog. If you are giving your dog a lot of food that lacks the appropriate amount of proteins, you will never be able to keep it healthy. Well, if you are giving enough and high-quality proteins you will see the results soon.
Proteins rich foods
Proteins make the main course for your Pitbulls. It is important that you give your dogs pure and high-quality meat based proteins and avoid fillers and other low-quality sources that are not a good thing for your pit bulls. Best dog foods for Pitbulls contain around 35 to 42 percent of proteins content that ensures a healthy body development.
If you can provide your dog with high-quality proteins it can help to boost its muscle growth and maintain proper body weight without posing any risks of allergies and health issues. You can determine the percentage of protein diet on the basis of the activity level. As if you see your dog shows an above average activity level, it may require more than 45 percent of the protein of the total diet it takes in.
You may give raw meat diet for Pitbulls, fish, and beef or chicken as a part of its diet if you are giving it the fresh diet.
Fats are necessary to give your dog the best source of energy. You may expect to give your Pitbull around 10 percent of fat of its total diet if it has a regular activity level. In case the dog is highly active and needs more energy, you can give it to 15 or 20 percent of fats without any trouble. Chicken fat and other kinds of animal fats would make the best food for pitbull puppies.
Vitamins and minerals
Vitamins and minerals are essential and enable the dogs to fight germs and seasonal diseases and keep them fit and active. These components also help in maintaining a healthy immune system and keep the dogs healthy and fit with a little chance of getting into health issues.
You may give your dog fresh fruits and vegetable food items to ensure the dog have the necessary amount of vitamins and minerals.
Carbohydrates are not considered as a necessary part of the Pitbull’s diet and when it comes to the selection of high-quality diet and best dog food for pitbulls to gain weight you may prefer to find a low Carb diet to avoid the issues of food allergies and bloating which is very common among these dogs.
The water content
You dog may need 1 ounce per pound of its body weight each day. You need to make sure your dog gets fresh water all the time when it needs. The Proper amount of water helps the dogs digest food well and keeps the body hydrated for better activity levels.
The Best Feeding Plan For Your Pitbulls
Though you might have noticed that Pitbulls never refuse to eat and they are always ready to enjoy their food no matter how many times you try to feed them. So, to keep that in mind you should set up a complete diet plan and regular feeding time for your dogs so that you can help them maintain a good body weight without leading to an overweight body and also help them grow better if they are in the growth stage.
In most cases, when you are feeding a growing Pitbull, you may need to feed your dog for about 3-4 times a day according to set amount of food given each time. You may not give extra food to make sure they do not put on a lot of bulk on their bodies.
Best way To Switch To A New Kind Of Food Safely
While feeding your Pitbull another important consideration is to keep changing the food that you give your dog on a regular basis. It is always recommended because keeping the same food in the feeding routine may not give the proper amount of nutrition and you may have to switch to another food off and on.
But it is also a fact that, when you switch to another kind of food, you may see that your dog will be experiencing bloating and disturbance in the stomach when you try to switch to another food instantly without following a particular plan.
Here is what you should do instead:
Make sure you use a 7-day meal switching plan including the following proportions from the new and the old meals:
- The first day- give 20 percent of the new food and 80 percent should be the older one
- Second, day-give the new food around 30 percent and 70 percent remains the older one
- Third, day-make the new food proportion around 40 percent of the total meal
- The fourth day- the new food should now make the 50 percent of the total food
- The fifth day- increase it to the 60 percent
Now you can keep increasing the new food 10 percent each day and on the 8th day you will be giving your dog, 100 percent new food.
This gradual switching will help you to make sure your dog will not get the bloating and other related stomach diseases and can easily start taking the new meal plan to get better health.
The Basic Reason Pitbulls Cannot Eat Common Dog Foods
Sometimes people are very much concerned about the fact that why they are not able to give their Pitbulls the kind of food that other dogs are able to eat easily. The reason behind it is that the Pitbulls are sensitive to carbohydrates and are unable to digest the low-quality proteins which are the major part of the average dog food that is available on the market.
In most cases, if you give high protein for pitbulls, the food that is not specifically prepared for Pitbulls and is not a pure protein food, you will observe food allergies and digestion related issues which may affect your dog’s overall health severely.
Best ways to ensure the quality of the food you are giving to your Pitbulls
The best dog food for pitbulls to gain muscle is no doubt the pure protein food. The best ways to ensure that you are giving your Pitbull the meal or the various components that contain
- 35-40 percent of pure proteins
- 15-25 percent of fats
- 30-32 percent of other nutrients in which the carbohydrate content should be the lowest
- 4 -5 percent should be the fiber which maintains the healthy digestive functions in the body.
If the food that you are giving to your Pitbull contains such elements, then it is getting the right amount of meal in the correct proportion.
Additionally, you should avoid the following food ingredients to ensure the highest quality of dog foods for Pitbulls:
- Other grain and fillers
If you see any ingredients like that or if the food is not indicated as free from filler and grain proteins, then you should avoid taking such food items.
Benefits Of Giving Your Pitbulls The Best Quality Dog Food
You must be thinking what additional help would you get if you are giving your dog the best quality food it needs, right?
Here are some reasons for which you should be giving your pitbull a protein rich food:
Health body growth and muscle gain
If you are giving your dog the best food you can find or feeding it on the quality raw meat proteins, then you can surely see a healthy muscle growth in your dog and it will show sufficient muscle gain within a short period of time. But you may have to monitor a number of proteins it takes to avoid an overweight body.
Fewer health issues and diseases
A Pitbull which is taking the best kind of food it can get, there will be lesser health issues and diseases and it can survive through any climatic conditions and stay fit for a long period of time.
Increased activity levels and longer life span
Getting enough proteins and fats enable the dog to maintain a healthy activity level and can stay healthy and live longer than those which are not given the proper food.
Different Types Of Best Dog Food For Pitbulls
Pitbulls need pure proteins and as stated earlier you can have the proper meal for your dog through various resources.
There are two basic sources of pure protein based food for your dog:
- Dry, prepared food
- Natural food items and raw meat proteins
You may find prepared food or dry meal for your Pitbulls from the market. There are many well-known brands that offer high-quality meal plans and can give you a well-balanced option for the better health of your dog.
Here is a useful video about giving your Pitbulls the raw meat diet:
In addition to the average diet of a dog, you can also select the dog’s food on the basis of specific needs of your dog. Like you may consider the following exceptions:
Foods for Pitbulls having skin allergies
In case your Pitbull has a sensitive skin or is prone to skin allergies you may try to give your dog pure protein which is not driven either from the chicken or only the beef. It is better to find a meal that is composed of pure proteins driven from the Fish meat.
Food for heavyweight pitbulls
Heavyweight Pitbulls need weight control feed. For this, you may look for the food items or the meal plan that offers the lowest level of fats in it to make sure they won’t build up the bulk in their body.
Muscle forming foods for Pitbulls
If you have got a lean dog that needs lots of nutrition and care, you can go for an average or above average proportion of proteins and fats according to the required nutrition level.
Top 5 Best Pitbulls Dog Food Reviews
It has real Deboned beef as its primary ingredient along with a whole lot of fresh ingredients incorporated directly from the farm.
- It is not factory-made using any formula but is prepared in the five-star kitchen of Merrick with extra care, thus ensuring a great taste.
- It is high in glucosamine and chondroitin which help in the maintaining healthy hips and joints.
- The organic stuff such as apples, blueberries, potatoes and peas that are rich in vitamins and anti-oxidants are grown in Merrick’s own farm.
- It helps in building lean, healthy muscle tissue thanks to the balance of nutrients present in it. It is devoid of grains but the utilization of other components in the right proportion makes it a great choice among the dog owners.
- It is made in America and meets the different quality standards.
- Your dog may suffer from stomach upset and may also have the tendency to fart after being fed with the product regularly.
3.Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Large Breed Dog Food
It is a great combination or chicken and rice which is a dog’s favorite. As evident from the name, it is particularly suited for the larger dog breeds and comes in a 30lb pack.
- Each ingredient used is purely natural and is not likely to harm your dog in any way.
- The balanced nutrition provided by the food helps in increasing your dog’s body mass, promotes its health and vitality, ensures that there is an optimum absorption of the food taken and strengthens its bones and joints.
- It is great in terms of taste too.
- Your dog receives protein from four different sources and gets 13% more protein than any other dog food.
- If you have a family of dogs at your home, you would have to buy separate food for the little ones since this product is only applicable for dog species of weight 50lbs or higher.
- It comes in a low quantity as compared to the price.
- The list of ingredients does not match with the actual ingredients that are used here.
Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Large Breed Dog Food is rich in proteins and is a great product that serves all the requirements of especially the dogs of bigger sizes. However, it is advisable that you go through a review site or interact personally with the previous buyers of the product so that they can tell you exactly what it contains and whether it can suit your dog’s breed or medical conditions.
4.Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
It helps in providing a complete nutrition to your dog since is high in protein and also contains some vitamins and minerals.
- It has 80% more protein than the other similar products and this protein is received from turkey and chicken.
- No fillers such as wheat, corn and soy are added. Also, meat by-products are avoided. Only natural products are used, thus helping your pet to enjoy a long, healthy life.
- Your body is supplied with the right amount of probiotics, vitamins and minerals.
- It contains fish and flax omega that are great for maintaining perfect skin and perfect hair.
- It comes directly “from farm to bowl” and is thus available in a fresher variety.
- Some dogs have even been observed to suffer from Diarrhoea after being fed with the product.
- It comes in a pointed shape and can thus be a bit difficult to chew.
Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food supplies protein to your dog from two different sources and also supplies other stuff such as probiotics, vitamins and minerals. However, it may not suit your dog and it is thus better to go for a test before you start giving it to your dog daily.
If you are looking for an organic dog food with cage-free duck, this one is your thing!
- It uses dug, a novel protein that is highly preferred for dogs with allergic conditions.
- It is rich in calories and will be able to suffice to the energy requirements of your dog.
- It comes from Honest Kitchen, a home-based company in the USA that specializes in manufacturing pet food with special care.
- It does not contain any bi-products, GMO or organic ingredients.
- It contains ancient grains that are highly nutritious. The different grains that are used include organic oats, organic buckwheat, organic coconut, parsley, spinach, basil and chia seeds and much more.
- The food is specially designed to prevent ear infections in the dog.
- The volumes are not in accordance with what mentioned. It might seem adequate at first, but the problem is that your dog will consume huge amounts of this within no time when mixed with water.
- The flavor might not suit your dog well.
The Honest Kitchen Human Grain Dehydrated Organic Grain Dog Food is a unique dog food that includes duck, a novel protein. However, before you go and buy it, make an assessment of the quantity and whether the package will be able to suit your needs.
Best Dog Food For Pitbulls Buying Guide
For those who own a Pitbull, there is always a need to have a proper guidance regarding the selection of the best food for pitbulls their dogs. Here are some of the most important considerations to make sure you get the right meal for your dog.
Look at the ingredients
Make sure you check the main ingredients in any dry dog food for pitbulls you are buying from the market. If you are sure that the food has only pure proteins and no fillers are there then it is safe to go for that particular food. You may check if the food is composed of beef, fish, chicken and other pure protein sources and not obtained from the grains.
Check the proportions of each component in the meal
Make sure the meal has the right and well-balanced proportion of the nutrients that your dog needs. You may select on the basis of the specific bodily needs depending on the body weight, the activity levels and the age of your dog.
Look for the health benefits and side effects
Make sure the meal is capable of providing safe nutrition and does not have any side effect on the dog’s health.
Look for the reviews
Reading lots of consumer reviews can help you in finding the best dog food for Pitbulls. It is important because you should know how others have found the meal and what have been the effects of the food on their dogs.
Only buy the food that actually has proven to be safe and beneficial for the kind of dog you have with you.
How To Care For A Pitbull And Keep Their Digestion Good
Most of the people who are planning to keep a Pitbull or already have one at their home need to get all the related pitbull care information so that they don’t have to go to the vet too often
Here are some important things you must know:
- Pitbulls are prone to skin allergies and food driven allergies. So, you need to be very careful about selecting the best dog food for pitbulls with allergies. You should know if your dog has digestive problems, you may select proper meals or consult your vet to check the allergies and recommend proper meal plan.
- Pitbulls are also prone to bloating issues. You may take care of their digestive issues by keep the meals in control and also make sure you don’t experiment with their meals too frequently and follow a gradual procedure while switching it to the next meal plan.
- In addition to these issues, you may also find other health problems like hip and elbow Dysplasia, Cherry eye, heartworms, epilepsy and overeating problems.