To be honest, the first thing that comes to our mind when we talk about dogs is that they are adorable. From dogs to doggos and from puppies to puppers, we have grown quite a bit when it comes to dogs. They are available on all shapes and sizes, be it a lanky tall dog, or a hairy dog or a tough and a brute dog, they are available in all breeds.
It becomes really important to treat them in the best possible manner, stop doing things that make them afraid of humans and of course, their choices of food and other liquid substances. One of the most frequently asked question is that Can Dogs eat dates?
It is true that you have to be extremely careful while feeding your beloved pet and people often tend to make mistakes, mistakes that cost their health and in some cases, their lives too! So, addressing all those concerned faces, in this article, I will talk about the benefits and the harmful effects of feeding your dogs with dates.
These are some of essential benefits of including dates in the diet of your dog. Although it is extremely helpful for your dog at all the stages of its growth, you need to ensure the quantity of its intake. 1 date contains about 16 grams of sugar and that is a lot considering the suitable amount for a dog. So, be very sure that you keep a check on that intake of the sugar and also try and give as less dates as possible to the young ones.
Dates have been scientifically proven to be safe for dogs of all stages, but to be on the safer side, should be avoided for dogs, which are on the verge of reproducing. Young puppies taking in dates can be subjected to obesities and high blood pressure, which can kill the will of your dog to eat food, which is very harmful.
What Should You Keep In Mind While Feeding Dates To Your Dogs?
There are quite a few things that you should ensure while feeding dates to your dogs. Be very sure that you get only the best dates from the market before you feed your dog with them. Spoiled and outdates dates will have a bad effect on your dog and they can suffer from diarrhea. To ensure the best results only, follow these steps.
- Firstly, it is recommended that you do not stuff your dog with all the numbers of dates at one go. Dates have high sugar content, which can be extremely poisonous to your dog. So, to ensure the optimal amount of sugar content in their body, time your feeds well enough for your dog to digest the food. Dates can be easily digested and hence, it is advised that you give your dogs the dates at regular intervals to ensure the maximum benefit of it.
- Secondly, as already mentioned, dates have a high sugar content, and sugar is extremely harmful for your dogs; not only can it infect their teeth, but also can mix with their blood and act as a poisonous enzyme and can result in obesity. So be very sure that you only get them.
- Third and most importantly, make sure that you take out the pit from the date. Pits of most of the fruits out there are extremely poisonous. Although it is not the case with that of dates, it is still recommended that you take the pits out because they can get lodged at the intestinal tracts of your dogs, which can be a matter of great pain for your pet.
Now that you know about some of the most essential things which you should definitely ensure while feeding dates to your dogs, let us take a look at some of the benefits of eating dates for dogs.
- Treats: Dates are extremely helpful to the human body and up to a great extent, to the dogs as well. Rather than providing your dogs with bones and other useless snacks, offering them dates can be an interesting and a fruitful addition to their diet. Dates are not toxic and if offered the right way, they can grow used to it, and this can be used lure them into having all the quintessential food that dogs must have. To be precise, these can act as treats for them.
- Energy Boosters: Dogs, especially puppies are extremely active throughout the day. More often than not, cases have been registered that they just sleep around, doing nothing. The main cause is an unhealthy diet, which is producing all those extra layers of fat in their body. Dates are one of the best energy boosters for your dog. Not only do they serve this purpose, but being low on fat and cholesterol-free, they also ensure that all the typical diseases in a dog, stay at bay.
- Extra Benefits: If you think that dates only boost the energy levels and burn down fat, you are absolutely wrong. They are extremely rich in Vitamins like the A1, B1, B2, B3, B5 and C. With all these Vitamins, your dog will be as healthy as possible. Also, the fibers that are present in dates are a great addition to their diets because that helps them to improve their digestion, makes their structure strong and they can eat more, which in turn is also essential for any dog.
Considering all the above-mentioned points, we come to this conclusion that dates are safe for dogs. They are pretty much safe as long as they do not over-eat them. Dogs have a tendency to grow a liking for the food that they like and get used to. So it is up to the owner to ensure that they do not get used to eating dates, and at the same time, they get that adequate amount, which will help them become stronger, bolder and sharper.
Hope this article was helpful and if you liked it, don’t forget to share this article to help other owners as well. Leave a comment below if you have any questions regarding the topic.