Gone are the days of building those fixed, immobile kennels for keeping your dog in the yard. Instead, a number of easy-to-handle and easily installable dog houses are in rage among the dog owners. Also, these days people live in apartments and condos where they prefer internal dog houses to help their dog find its own space in one corner of the living room or on the patio.
These dog houses prove to be great in this respect as well. A range of cute little dog houses are available today and choosing the Best Dog House from among them is tricky. That’s why we have come up with a guide that will help you to find the right one after introducing you to some of the common types available in the market.
Benefits Of Getting The Best Dog House
Some people avoid buying it since they feel that the dog can play around the house throughout the day and sleep somewhere on the floor (or even at the bed with its master) during night. They can be tied using chains whenever required and there is no need of buying a separate house for it.
However, listed below are certain advantages that a dog house has to offer which are sure to convince you to buy one for your pet dog:
- Convenience in cleaning: You will need to put in less effort for cleaning purposes since the hairs, lint, urine and stool of the dog will not be spread across your entire house. They are most likely to gather inside its house from where you can clean it off.
- Your pet gets its own space: Just like we need a bed-room where we can enjoy our privacy, a dog also needs its own space where it can rest peacefully. It is there where it can find its place in times of isolation.
- Security: It provides your dog security, especially if it is stationed outside.
- Protection from weather conditions: It will protect your dog from the extremes of climate such as the scorching sun during the summer, rain during monsoon and biting cold during winter.
Things To Look For In The Best Dog House
While buying a dog house, you need to choose the right one on the basis of a few parameters which are:-
- Quality: The quality of the dog house is an important parameter that differentiates a good dog house from the rest. You must ensure that you do not end up compromising the quality by choosing a cheaper dog house.
- Price: Once you set the budget, it will be easy for you to eliminate options and then choose the ideal one from the ones that remain.
- Size: This will depend primarily on two things- the amount of space that you can afford and the size of your dog. If you have a larger dog, buying a small dog house will not serve your purpose while buying a big house for a little dog will be nothing but wastage of money!
How To Choose The Best Dog House
The following factors should be considered for buying the best dog house:
- Materials Used: You should first decide the type of materials that are to be used for making the dog house. It can be made using metals, wood or plastic for the purpose. If you are looking for something that is light-weight and easy to carry, you should choose a plastic dog house. Again, if you want something more substantial, wood dog houses will be better. They offer more protection against the natural elements such as fog, wind and sunrays if kept outdoors. You can also go for metal dog houses such as aluminum and stainless steel but the only problem with these houses is that they do not offer sufficient insulation.
- The Roof: Another thing to look for is the roof of the house. For wooden houses, the roof is generally sloped where two individual planks of wood join together to form a peak. Another typical roof style is the sun deck type of roof where there is a wooden platform at the top where the dog can have a great time sitting!
- The Floor: The floor of this roof should be a bit raised from the ground and should be made from good quality wood. Some dog houses use pressure-treated wood which can also be a good option provided it is covered by plywood strips. There should be a bedding formed of hay, stray or blanket at the floor where the dog can relax.
- Adequate Ventilation: A dog house should also be provided with sufficient ventilation such that the interior never gets suffocated. There should be an inflow of fresh air to make the dog feel cool during summer.
What Is The Best Way To Use A Dog House?
The best way to use a dog house is to keep it inside the house during the day time since you can have a great time with your pet throughout the day. At night, you can place the dog house outside in your yard so that the dog can get alerted if a thief or burglar tries to trespass.
Review Of 6 Best Dog House
1. Petmate Indigo Dog House with Microban
It is an Igloo shaped dog house that looks funky as well as provides better protection against the rain and the wind.
- It uses Microban. Microban is meant for protecting the surfaces against microbes that can get the surfaces stained and produce molds, mold spores and mildew. It is made using the concepts of biochemistry and boons of technology to protect the house against odors and also from degradation. Thus, you can ensure an optimum mold protection for your house.
- There is roof ventilation for a constant flow of air. It helps air to circulate and keeps on filling the Igloo with fresh air so that your pet never experiences suffocation problems.
- It is available in three different sizes to accommodate your pet.
- The bottom portion is raised by a considerable height so that rain does not get inside.
- It is sturdy and durable. So you do not need to worry about the house being weathered with time.
- The overall dimensions make it seem to you that the house is large enough to fit your pet. But the problem is with the size of the entrance. Dogs of larger size cannot go inside through the narrow entrance.
- The shape is such that the house cannot be placed in any random space inside your house. It takes a larger area.
- It has been observed that one might need to use the hammer to bring it into shape at certain positions.
- The door is of no practical use.
Considering all the pros and cons of the product, it is a great one if you have a smaller dog such as a pug but may not be the right one to buy for a larger species such as a bulldog.
2. Premium Plus A-Frame Dog House
The next contender for the best dog house is the Ware Premium A-Frame dog house. If wooden dog house is your choice, you may go for the Ware Premium A-Frame Dog House which is made of fir lumbar.
- It has shingled roof with slanted peak frames which do not allow rain or snow to accumulate on the top. It is thus ideal for the ones who want to keep their dog house outdoors. The roof is water-proof which avoids more protection.
- It is sealed and covered with a non-toxic stain which provides an extra layer of coating and gives an aesthetic finish.
- There are waterproof roofs which help in placing the house in a proper position.
- The dog house is great in terms of aesthetics and looks similar to a thatched hut.
- It has a reasonable price and offers great value for money.
- The house may not be able to withstand the harsh weather conditions and get warped and cracked with time.
- The floor is not well-supported except at the edges.
- The entrance is pretty wide and you can easily insert a quilt into it to help the dog feel cozy and comfortable.
- Assembling it isn’t that easy.
Simple and cute, this dog house offers sufficient space to your dog and is a great one to opt for, provided you can take the trouble of installing it.
3. MED Pet Barn III
It is a small pet house for your dog which is made using quality products and is a healthy choice for your pet. It comes from the house of Doskocil which has been making quality products for the little pets at our home for decades.
- It is manufactured as per the highest quality standards from the USA and is thus safe for your dog.
- It is even taller and wide-spaced than what it seems from the pictures.
- Rain water cannot leak into the house. The only places through which water can leak are the clip positions where duct tape can be used to prevent the leakage.
- It has great insulating properties which will help to maintain a warm temperature during winter. And if you are a resident of places where the temperature falls below the freezing point, you can use polystyrene insulation at the sides to help in insulation.
- The use of suitable materials for construction makes the house durable and sturdy.
- The space offered is enough to allow the air to circulate.
- You can also insert a cushion to make your pet dog feel comfortable.
- It helps in protecting your dog from the harsh weather conditions during winter.
- It is easy for you to install and clean.
- There is no paint or wood fumes and is thus safe for your dog’s health.
- The doorway is too big and can thus cause lead to leakage during harsh weather conditions.
- It is not at all striking in terms of looks and thus loses out to its competitors that are highly cute and funky in their appearance.
This product has a lot of positive features to offer and is thus among the top ones of its type. However, it is not that great in terms of its looks.
4. Midwest Solution Series “Ginormus” Double Door Dog Crate
This one is completely different from the ones discussed so far and is made using heavy duty metal. It is large enough to fit a dog of bigger sizes.
- It is highly suitable for dogs that weigh over 90 pounds.
- It is extra-large in size and can thus be used to keep more than one dog.
- It has roller rubber feet to prevent the floor from damage.
- There is also a removable leak-proof pan.
- The four drop-pins make the assembly easier.
- It is painted with an E-coat finish is resistant against rust.
- It is worthy of the price.
- There is a removable tray at the bottom of the cage so that you can easily remove the waste if your dog throws up.
- It has a solid and sturdy construction and is painted all over with a durable paint.
- It is comparatively flimsy as compared to the others of its category.
- The installation process is not really easy. There will be a number of pieces that need to be brought together and each of these pieces is heavy to be lifted.
- You may find it hard to find sufficient space in your home to keep it.
It is a sturdy crate that can easily fit dogs of any sizes and helps you to ensure an easy removal of waste material. However, if you do not have sufficient space at home or have dogs of smaller size, buying the crate can be pointless for you.
5. MidWest iCrate Folding Metal Dog Crate
- It has a free divider panel that allows you to adjust the size of the crate according to the size of the dog. This makes it ideal for growing dogs.
- It comes with a leak-proof plastic pan and a sturdy handle.
- It provides a great opportunity to train your pet right from its childhood thanks to the adjustable arrangement in the crate.
- There are slide-bolt latches which help in latching the door rightly.
- It is easy to be carried from one place to other thanks to the foldable design.
- The exterior is painted with satin-black Electro-coat finish, thus making resistant to strong weather conditions as well as decent in appearance.
- It comes with a one-year warranty from the manufacturers.
- It is quite easy to install.
- The sharp ages in the crate can cause harm to your dog.
- Not very effective for heavier and stronger dogs.
- According to some of the users, the quality of materials was found to be poor.
If you prefer a crate-type enclosure for your pet, this one would be great provided your dog is not too big or too heavy.
6. Suncast DH250 Dog House
This dog house resembles a small hut with thatched roof. It even has a window to enhance the attractive look. It has sufficient space inside where your dog can relax or play.
- It uses a resin construction, thus making it a durable choice.
- The crowned floor offers a solid base.
- It can withstand the weight of dogs up to 70 lbs.
- It is quite easy to install and does not require you to put in much efforts.
- It offers great protection against the sun.
- It comes with a vinyl door which is likely to serve great purposes to you.
- Some users have found the floor to be weak and of a poor quality.
- It is not good for heavy rainfall and stormy winds.
Suncast DH250 is thus the perfect choice for those who are in the hunt of a considerably spacious and protected dog house for their pets. However, it has a few negatives as discussed, which should be considered at the time of buying and the decision should be made accordingly.