Gone are the days of building those fixed, immobile kennels for keeping your dog in the yard. Instead, a number of easy-to-handle and easily installable dog houses are in rage among the dog owners. Also, these days people live in apartments and condos where they prefer internal dog houses to help their dog find its own space in one corner of the living room or on the patio. These dog houses prove to be great in this respect as well. A range of cute little dog houses are available today and choosing the Best Dog House from among them is tricky. That’s why we have come up with a guide that will help you to find the right one after introducing you to some of the common types available in the market.
Benefits Of Getting The Best Dog House
Some people avoid buying it since they feel that the dog can play around the house throughout the day and sleep somewhere on the floor (or even at the bed with its master) during night. They can be tied using chains whenever required and there is no need of buying a separate house for it.
However, listed below are certain advantages that a dog house has to offer which are sure to convince you to buy one for your pet dog:
- Convenience in cleaning: You will need to put in less effort for cleaning purposes since the hairs, lint, urine and stool of the dog will not be spread across your entire house. They are most likely to gather inside its house from where you can clean it off.
- Your pet gets its own space: Just like we need a bed-room where we can enjoy our privacy, a dog also needs its own space where it can rest peacefully. It is there where it can find its place in times of isolation.
- Security: It provides your dog security, especially if it is stationed outside.
- Protection from weather conditions: It will protect your dog from the extremes of climate such as the scorching sun during the summer, rain during monsoon and biting cold during winter.
Things To Look For In The Best Dog House
While buying a dog house, you need to choose the right one on the basis of a few parameters which are:
- Price: Once you set the budget, it will be easy for you to eliminate options and then choose the ideal one from the ones that remain.
- Size: This will depend primarily on two things- the amount of space that you can afford and the size of your dog. If you have a larger dog, buying a small dog house will not serve your purpose while buying a big house for a little dog will be nothing but wastage of money!
- Quality: The quality of the dog house is an important parameter that differentiates a good dog house from the rest. You must ensure that you do not end up compromising the quality by choosing a cheaper dog house.
My Best Dog Houses
How To Choose The Best Dog House
The following factors should be considered for buying the best dog house:
- Materials Used: You should first decide the type of materials that are to be used for making the dog house. It can be made using metals, wood or plastic for the purpose. If you are looking for something that is light-weight and easy to carry, you should choose a plastic dog-house. Again, if you want something more substantial, wood dog houses will be better. They offer more protection against the natural elements such as fog, wind and sunrays if kept outdoors. You can also go for metal dog houses such as aluminum and stainless steel but the only problem with these houses is that they do not offer sufficient insulation.
- The Roof: Another thing to look for is the roof of the house. For wooden houses, the roof is generally sloped where two individual planks of wood join together to form a peak. Another typical roof style is the sun deck type of roof where there is a wooden platform at the top where the dog can have a great time sitting!
- The Floor: The floor of this roof should be a bit raised from the ground and should be made from good quality wood. Some dog houses use pressure-treated wood which can also be a good option provided it is covered by plywood strips. There should be a bedding formed of hay, stray or blanket at the floor where the dog can relax.
- Adequate Ventilation: A dog house should also be provided with sufficient ventilation such that the interior never gets suffocated. There should be an inflow of fresh air to make the dog feel cool during summer.
What Is The Best Way To Use A Dog House?
The best way to use a dog house is to keep it inside the house during the day time since you can have a great time with your pet throughout the day. At night, you can place the dog house outside in your yard so that the dog can get alerted if a thief or burglar tries to trespass.
Review Of Nine Best Dog Houses Of The Day
The next contender for the best dog house is the Ware Premium A-Frame dog house. If wooden dog house is your choice, you may go for the Ware Premium A-Frame Dog House which is made of fir lumbar.
- It has shingled roof with slanted peak frames which do not allow rain or snow to accumulate on the top. It is thus ideal for the ones who want to keep their dog house outdoors. The roof is water-proof which avoids more protection.
- It is sealed and covered with a non-toxic stain which provides an extra layer of coating and gives an aesthetic finish.
- There are waterproof roofs which help in placing the house in a proper position.
- It has the dimensions of living space as 28” x 35 ½ “ x 31” while that of the door opening is 15”x21.5”.
- The dog house is great in terms of aesthetics and looks similar to a thatched hut.
- It has a reasonable price and offers great value for money.
Simple and cute, this dog house offers sufficient space to your dog and is a great one to opt for, provided you can take the trouble of installing it.
It is a small pet house for your dog which is made using quality products and is a healthy choice for your pet. It comes from the house of Doskocil which has been making quality products for the little pets at our home for decades.
- It is manufactured as per the highest quality standards from the USA and is thus safe for your dog.
- It is even taller and wide-spaced than what it seems from the pictures.
- Rain water cannot leak into the house. The only places through which water can leak are the clip positions where duct tape can be used to prevent the leakage.
- It has great insulating properties which will help to maintain a warm temperature during winter. And if you are a resident of places where the temperature falls below the freezing point, you can use polystyrene insulation at the sides to help in insulation.
- The use of suitable materials for construction makes the house durable and sturdy.
- The space offered is enough to allow the air to circulate.
- You can also insert a cushion to make your pet dog feel comfortable.
- It helps in protecting your dog from the harsh weather conditions during winter.
- It is easy for you to install and clean.
- There is no paint or wood fumes and is thus safe for your dog’s health.
- The doorway is too big and can thus cause lead to leakage during harsh weather conditions.
- It is not at all striking in terms of looks and thus loses out to its competitors that are highly cute and funky in their appearance.
This product has a lot of positive features to offer and is thus among the top ones of its type. However, it is not that great in terms of its looks.
It is a small and cute dog house from Petmate which is a great weather-proof dog house with a wide range of features.
- The vent in the roof helps in maintaining a constant flow of air.
- It is quite easy to install the dog house as no tools are required.
- Being made of Microban, it offers great wind resistance and rain protection.
- It is more or less sturdy and durable.
- The Igloo shape of the house makes it a great choice from the aesthetic viewpoint.
- There are screws fitted inside so that you can easily fit the door without any trouble.
- The maximum size of dog that can fit into it is 36” x 24”.
- The doorway is 15.5”x14.5” and a dog will thus find it difficult to enter.
- Many people believe in connecting a heater to the dog house which is not possible in this case since there is not enough space to drill a hole for the heater accessory.
It is fine if you have a smaller dog at your home. However, it is a strict no-no for larger dogs since it will not be able to fit inside or make its way through the front channel.
This one is completely different from the ones discussed so far and is made using heavy duty metal. It is large enough to fit a dog of bigger sizes.
- It is highly suitable for dogs that weigh over 90 pounds.
- It is extra-large in size and can thus be used to keep more than one dog.
- It has roller rubber feet to prevent the floor from damage.
- There is also a removable leak-proof pan.
- The four drop-pins make the assembly easier.
- It is painted with an E-coat finish is resistant against rust.
- It is worthy of the price.
- There is a removable tray at the bottom of the cage so that you can easily remove the waste if your dog throws up.
- It has a solid and sturdy construction and is painted all over with a durable paint.
- It is comparatively flimsy as compared to the others of its category.
- The installation process is not really easy. There will be a number of pieces that need to be brought together and each of these pieces is heavy to be lifted.
- You may find it hard to find sufficient space in your home to keep it.
It is a sturdy crate that can easily fit dogs of any sizes and helps you to ensure an easy removal of waste material. However, if you do not have sufficient space at home or have dogs of smaller size, buying the crate can be pointless for you.
This dog house resembles a small hut with thatched roof. It even has a window to enhance the attractive look. It has sufficient space inside where your dog can relax or play.
- It uses a resin construction, thus making it a durable choice.
- The crowned floor offers a solid base.
- It can withstand the weight of dogs up to 70 lbs.
- It is quite easy to install and does not require you to put in much efforts.
- It offers great protection against the sun.
- It comes with a vinyl door which is likely to serve great purposes to you.
- Some users have found the floor to be weak and of a poor quality.
- It is not good for heavy rainfall and stormy winds.
Suncast DH250 is thus the perfect choice for those who are in the hunt of a considerably spacious and protected dog house for their pets. However, it has a few negatives as discussed, which should be considered at the time of buying and the decision should be made accordingly.
It is an Igloo-shaped dog –house that looks funky as well as provides better protection against the rain and the wind.
- It uses Microban. Microban is meant for protecting the surfaces against microbes that can get the surfaces stained and produce molds, mold spores and mildew. It is made using the concepts of biochemistry and boons of technology to protect the house against odors and also from degradation. Thus, you can ensure an optimum mold protection for your house.
- There is roof ventilation for a constant flow of air. It helps air to circulate and keeps on filling the Igloo with fresh air so that your pet never experiences suffocation problems.
- It is available in three different sizes to accommodate your pet.
- The bottom portion is raised by a considerable height so that rain does not get inside.
- It is sturdy and durable. So you do not need to worry about the house being weathered with time.
Considering all the pros and cons of the product, it is a great one if you have a smaller dog such as a pug but may not be the right one to buy for a larger species such as a bulldog.
It is a metal dog crate with double doors and is a safe and secure option for mid-sized dogs.
- It has a free divider panel that allows you to adjust the size of the crate according to the size of the dog. This makes it ideal for growing dogs.
- It comes with a leak-proof plastic pan and a sturdy handle.
- It provides a great opportunity to train your pet right from its childhood thanks to the adjustable arrangement in the crate.
- There are slide-bolt latches which help in latching the door rightly.
- It is easy to be carried from one place to other thanks to the foldable design.
- The exterior is painted with satin-black Electro-coat finish, thus making resistant to strong weather conditions as well as decent in appearance.
- It comes with a one-year warranty from the manufacturers.
- It is quite easy to install.
- The sharp ages in the crate can cause harm to your dog.
- Not very effective for heavier and stronger dogs.
- According to some of the users, the quality of materials was found to be poor.
If you prefer a crate-type enclosure for your pet, this one would be great provided your dog is not too big or too heavy.
This is yet another dog house from Palmate which is one of the best options for a little and cute dog. It is highly suitable for dogs with dimensions of 26”x17”. The doorway has dimensions of 13.5”x12.5”.
- It is a cute door house for smaller dogs and uses an innovative design.
- There are nice arrangements for ventilation.
- You can install it even without tools.
- It is suitable for dogs with weights of 25-50 lbs.
- The extended, offset doorway is a great feature to look for.
- Only applicable for dogs within the mentioned size range.
- The Microban layering provides an added protection.
It is ideal for the small dogs but not meant for the bigger ones. If you are looking for a tiny dog house with adequate protections against the elements of nature, this one would be the best.
Question And Answer For Buying The Best Dog House
Here are a few FAQs related to dog houses and their answers that will probably help you in your mission to find the best dog house for your pet.
What should be the right size of the best dog house?
For knowing the size of your dog house, you should first measure the size of your dog. And then it is your duty to find out whether the dog house is able to accommodate it. Also, the entrance of the house should be wide enough to make way for the dog.
Which category of dog house will be the right one for my pet?
Well, this depends on the place where you live in, or the climatic conditions of the place, to be more precise. If you are the resident of a place where the temperature reaches below the freezing point in winter, slanting or Igloo-shaped houses will be ideal for you. Again, if the elements of nature are not that much likely to affect the dog house, or if you can make alternative arrangements, go for the crates instead.
Can I go for a dog house with additional features?
Yes, the advancement of technology has allowed us to use some extra-ordinary features for the dog houses. There are certain models (some of which are discussed above) that help you to achieve this. You can attach a heater or cooler along with the dog houses. There are ways to achieve these features but care should be taken so that you can rightly implement it with the dog house. In fact, it is also possible to have air-conditioned dog houses for people living in the extremely hot climatic conditions.
What is the meaning of insulated dog house?
An insulated dog house is one that helps in maintaining a fixed temperature inside and does not allow heat to be lost or cold to entering and vice versa. An insulated dog house is thus a great choice for the ones who want to protect their pets from the harsh climatic conditions. Such houses will also protect your pet from severe rains and stormy winds.
I have got two dogs. Can I put them inside the same house?
Yes, of course you can do! There are large crates available in the market that will be sufficient to accommodate more than one pet. These are, in fact, huge cages with divider panels.
Why is it wise to buy a dog house of a reputable brand?
A dog house from a reputable brand will ensure that the materials of high quality and can thus be used for maintaining proper health and safety of your dog. There are a number of review sites where the buyers of these brands will share with you the pros and cons of the product and help you identify the right one for your dog.
Are the dog houses readily made?
There are basically loose parts that you need to join in order to install the house. The process is easy and simple and you will be provided with a manual for the same. However, not all dog houses are equally easy to install. So, you should select models accordingly.
So, this was all about the best dog houses that you can buy for your pet dog. As you must have understood by now, picking the right dog house isn’t easy. Each dog house that has been discussed above has its pros and cons. Now which one you will choose is somewhat dependent on the type of dog that you have, the climatic conditions of the place where you live and other such factors.
However, comparing the nine dog houses we come to a conclusion that the Suncast DH250 is the best dog house that you can buy for your dog. There are basically three things which determine the usability of a dog house.
The first one is the size of the house, whether it can accommodate a dog that is of a considerably large size. The different versions of the Palmate Indigo dog house lose out in this respect since it is difficult to accommodate your dog inside and the entrance of the house is too narrow to make way for them. The crates are oversized and it is wastage of money to buy them if you do not have an excessively large dog.
Another important factor to be considered here is the amount of protection that the house can offer against the natural elements. The crates are unable to provide it. But the Suncast DH250 has sloped roofs so that the rain and wind can easily slide off and your dog can be shielded.