Dog food comes in various forms and textures and it is important to keep the food fresh and in a good state to make sure the ingredients taste and the texture of the food so that it remains beneficial for the dog for a long time.
Due to the fact high temperature, sunlight and moisture may disrupt the qualities of the food, you may have to take care of it in a proper way and keep the food in one of the best dog food storage containers which are readily available on the market.
You can find them online as well as via local markets but make sure to compare and see which suits the needs of storing a particular kind of food you use for your dog.
What Is A Dog Food Storage Container?
A dog food storage container is a container having a certain capacity and is designed to contain the dog food safely while keeping it away from getting moist, overly warm or also keeps the food away from pests and microorganisms.
It can be made of high-quality plastic materials, metal or other synthetic materials depending on the features and purposes you need to have in the containers.
Why You Need A Dog Food Container And What Are The Benefits?
Having a dog food container could be the best thing and a must have in your home if you have a pet with you.
It is important to know that when you keep a dog as your pet, you have to take care of its health and proper diet and for which you need sufficient food to feed it properly. But it is also a fact that you cannot keep the food in the open air. The major reasons of having and keeping a dog food storage container are:
To store sufficient food
Definitely, food storage containers help in storing dog kibble or food in a safe manner. You can keep the desired quantity of dog food in a safe manner and without having the risks of getting spilled or wastage.
To keep food fresh for a long time
Due to the fact the dog food storage boxes are air tights and they would not let the moisture and airborne microorganisms to enter the container hence, the food stays fresh for a long time by reduced degradation.
To keep food safe from pests and other animals
The food remains safe from getting eaten by other pets at home or pests as well. You will not have to worry about any such issues if you have a safe container with a proper lid on it.
To maintain the taste and texture of the food
Through airtight preservation the taste and texture of the food stay the same as it was when the food box was opened, so your dog will love to eat because there will be no disintegration of the taste and texture of the food.
What Happens When You Don’t Store The Dog Food Properly?
There are a number of things that show the importance of having a dog food container and if you are trying to skip to have it in your home you will have to face the following:
- The dog food will be at risk of getting wasted or being eaten by another pet or pests at home.
- You may see that the food pallets may start losing its texture and color and also shows that the taste of the food will also change which indicated the chemical changes.
- Due to the chemical changes, the constitution of the food may change and can harm your dog directly or indirectly.
Important Things To Consider While Selecting The Best Dog Food Containers
While buying anything like the dog food canisters for your home, you might be thinking about comparing the various types of containers which are available on the market. To help you sort some of the most suitable and useful containers, here is a list of different things you may consider while selecting one of the best dog food containers:
The first thing you need to see is the capacity of the container. If you need to store surplus food for your dog, you may need huge sized canisters while if you have to store a few packs of dog food, you may select a small box for storing the food. You can check the capacity limit on the box.
Make sure you buy the container that has been designed to store and dispense the kind of food you use for your dog. Like most of the dry dog, food containers have a relatively different take out outlet than the ones which are for wet food items. In addition to that, some containers also come up with a well-designed wide open spot to pour the granular dry food in an easy way.
You may consider having the accessories with some of the containers, like having a scoop to measure the amount of food while feeding you dog and extra lids and storage bags.
Lid and cover options
Keep in mind that if you select the container that has a strong and airtight lid, then it will be better options rather the one having a loosely fitted lid that can easily be opened by kids of other pets around.
Materials with which the container is made
You can find the containers made of many different kinds of materials like plastic, metal and other synthetic materials which are free of harmful substances and can keep the food safe from all hazards. Make sure to select the container that can contain the kind of food you want to store in it.
Safety and health assurance
Most of the high-grade canisters come with a guaranteed safety label as having no BPA in the material and are certified by FDA. So, it is better to buy such containers to keep your dog away from long term hazards.
Movable or non-movable
Most of the dog food containers having large capacities may offer a trolley like base to help you move it easily. Though it may not be needed in small sized containers.
Different Types Of Dog Food Storage Containers
You can compare and see that there are many different types of dog food storage canisters and containers that can be categorized on the basis of their function, features and the materials with which they have been made from.
Most of the heavy duty dog food canisters are made up of plastic which is free of BPA and other harmful materials. The main reasons they are popular is that they are durable and are mostly air-tight to keep the food fresh and free from moisture, dust and spilling hazards.
Some containers can be made of canvas having one or two pockets, but the canvas is moisture proof and offers a temporary containment to feed the dog. It is not good for storing food for many days.
Metal containers are also good and you can use them due to the durability and huge capacity as well.
Dog food canisters decorative styles are also very common these days. They can be found with smart and elegant designs that you keep in your living room in an easy way.
Vault lid containers
In addition to the airtight jars and canisters, you may also like to have vault lid food containers which are also great for keeping food fresh for a long period of time.
Best ways to use your dog food storage containers
The best way to make sure that your dog food containers will serve its purpose is to keep the containers clean and clear and make sure you clean it after it is got emptied and clean it before pouring in another kind of food to keep the food safe from any kind of odors and taste issues.
Things To Avoid While Buying A Dog Food Container
- Avoid getting a container which is made of low-quality plastic or corroded metal.
- Don’t buy containers that don't guarantee the absence of BPA in its manufacture.
- Don’t buy huge or too small containers as you may not be able to handle the food in that case.
Top Dog Food Storage Container Reviews
1.Gamma2 Vittles Vault Plus-Pet Food Storage
This Gamma2 Vittles plus for a pet comes in three different capacities including the 15 lb, 25 lb, and 35 lb. You can store dry dog food in it as it has got a tightened lid that is not easily removable and has a vault style turn the lid to make sure the dog food stays away from any kind of hazards from the pests or accidental spills of the food.
- It keeps food fresh for a long time due to the fact no microorganisms are born in there and it also keeps the sunlight and the moisture away and helps in maintaining a proper temperature and keep the food fresh.
- It comes with a free measuring cup for measuring the proper amount of dog food, which is an added thing to help you better.
- It keeps the taste and the odor of the food as good as fresh for a long time.
- You may not be able to store other food immediately after you have removed the first one as it may contain the odor of the previous one and you need to keep it open in air or clean it thoroughly
2.Vittles Vault Airtight Stackable-Dog Food Container
Vittles vault stackable pet food containers have a stackable design that can be stacked easily and you can store your dog food as much as you need. The container has a vault lid that makes it sure that the dog food will not be spilled out, eaten by any pest and will remain moisture free and the taste will remain same as if it has been opened right away.
- It comes in two capacities that are 40 lbs and 60 lbs. This capacity is sufficient enough f or houses having more than one dog.
- It keeps food fresh and free from any kind of added odors.
- The food will not go through any kind of disintegration and can be kept for a long period of time.
- The easy access outlet makes it easy for the user to take out the amount of food that is required.
3.IRIS Airtight Food Storage Container
IRIS Airtight food storage container helps in storing food in an easy way so that you don’t have to worry about the space and the storage corner for to place the food containers. The translucent and see through container helps in knowing the amount of food left inside the container. It is available in 5 different sizes.
- The containers are made up of the transparent body by using the BPA-free plastic.
- The lid makes the containers airtight which ensure the freshness of the food stays as good as new.
- Easily stackable and can be placed anywhere on the shelf or in medium sized cabinets.
- The lid closes with the help of snap latches which ensure easy usage and airtight containment of the food.
- The products are made in the USA and offer high-quality food storage for your pet.
4.IRIS 3-Piece Airtight-Pet Food Container Combo
For the homes where more than one or two pets are living, the need of having large sized containers is important. This combo of three components with a trolley based 33-quart container and a 12-quart container stacked on it with a scoop to measure food ensure that you will never need any other containers when you have the IRIS 3 piece Airtight food containers.
- The materials are BPA-free and offer moisture free storage of the food.
- The containers have snap-tight latches that make the containers safe for the food and keep the food away from any kind of external hazards.
- Due to the huge capacity, you can store huge amount of food at the same time.
- The scoop helps in measuring the food properly that in turn help in feeding the dog properly.
5.Simplehuman Large Pet Food Storage Can, Brushed Stainless Steel
Sometimes there is a need of having an insulated and highly sophisticated food container that may help you save the dog food from heat, moisture, and accidental spills. This stainless steel dog food container keeps the food air tight and sealed to keep it fresh for days.
- It is available in 3 different capacities
- The materials used in this containers is BPA free
- The handle keeps the lid shut with the help of a lock system that maintains the airtight environment in the container.
- The inner bucket is removable and can be cleaned easily.
- It can be moved easily with the help of built-in wheels.
- It is not stackable and may need special place to keep it properly
Reviewing our discussion about the best dog food storage container, we can say that you must look into the various features of the container and select the ones that are sufficient to store the amount of dog food you need to keep at home. If you have more than one dog or need to store more than one kind of food, you must look for the stackable containers.
In case you only have one dog to feed you can go for a single dog food container. It is always best to have a container that has air tight lid and makes sure the food will stay fresh and will not be harmed in any way. In this list of five products, we have the stackable and trolley based containers from which you can select that one that matches your needs.