We formulate our daily diet charts to ensure that we do not miss out on the daily dose of nutrition and can thus maintain a sound health. Every individual requires a balanced diet and so does a dog!
If you are a dog-owner who is concerned about the health of the dog, you need to know the right kind of food that can be used to feed it so that it can remain healthy and energetic. With so many options available around you, it is not easy to pick the Best Dog Food.
So here we are, to introduce you to a range of dog foods available in the market and help you select the right one from among them.
Quick Look : Top 10 Best Dog Foods
*** Click on the Best Dog Food brands for more information, prices and details. Alternatively, scroll down below to read our overview.
How To Choose The Best Dog Food
There are basically two main types of dog food available in the market- meat based and grain-based. As the nutritionists suggest, meat is the main ingredient that is to be used in dog food. It has been seen through surveys that dogs fed regularly with meat were highly active and energetic. So, it is better to go for meat-based dog food.
Among meat-based food, there are other options too, such as lamb, turkey, fish and beef. However, nothing is as great as chicken because it is rich in amino acids and fatty acids.
The kind of food that you will select also depends on the health condition of your dog. If it is suffering from some medical condition and is being nursed, you should be careful in choosing the food accordingly.
One needs to check the composition of the food from the label in order to understand whether the food is the right one to be used. A proper diet will contain 30% of protein, 18% of fat, preservatives such as vitamin E and vitamin C and also some amount of Omega Fatty Acids.
Things To Look For While Buying The Best Dog Food
You should select the best dog food by judging the options available with respect to a few parameters that are described below:
- Protein: It is one of the most important ingredients that one should look for in a dog food package. You should choose the one that uses the right source of protein and also whether it contains the same in the right amount.
- Additional Nutrients: You should also ensure that the dog food contains other necessary elements like fruits and vegetable parts supplying the necessary vitamins and minerals in the right proportion.
- Grains: Grains should ideally be excluded from dog food.
- Effect: You should also find out whether the food under consideration affects your dog in any way or helps it to be in a healthy condition.
What Is The Right Way To Use The Best Dog Food?
Mere picking of the best dog food is not enough to make your dog healthy and well-nourished. You should also feed it in the proper way. But what is the right way to use a dog food?
First of all, it is not right to incorporate a new food as a daily treat for your dog. You should better use it once a day at the beginning and continue the other meals as before. After a few days, as your dog gets accustomed to the new routine, it will be fine to make it the regular meal of your dog.
Before serving the food to your dog, go through the instructions written on the label very carefully and prepare it just the way they ask you to. Also, make sure that the product has not expired. Use it in the right amounts as instructed by the veterinarian.
Top 10 Best Dog Food Reviews 2017
If you are looking for an organic dog food with cage-free duck, this one is your thing!
- It uses dug, a novel protein that is highly preferred for dogs with allergic conditions.
- It is rich in calories and will be able to suffice to the energy requirements of your dog.
- It comes from Honest Kitchen, a home-based company in the USA that specializes in manufacturing pet food with special care.
- It does not contain any bi-products, GMO or organic ingredients.
- It contains ancient grains that are highly nutritious. The different grains that are used include organic oats, organic buckwheat, organic coconut, parsley, spinach, basil and chia seeds and much more.
- The food is specially designed to prevent ear infections in the dog.
- The volumes are not in accordance with what mentioned. It might seem adequate at first, but the problem is that your dog will consume huge amounts of this within no time when mixed with water.
- The flavor might not suit your dog well.
The Honest Kitchen Human Grain Dehydrated Organic Grain Dog Food is a unique dog food that includes duck, a novel protein. However, before you go and buy it, make an assessment of the quantity and whether the package will be able to suit your needs.
This dog food contains lamb and its organs along with some added vitamins and minerals to help your dog receive adequate nourishment.
- It is rich in high-quality proteins and fats.
- It is a healthy diet option for your pet since the lambs which feed on the green fields are used here.
- It is easy to digest for your pet.
- It will not only enrich it with energy but will also help it to recover from any illness that it has developed.
- It is convenient to cook the dish since a mere rehydration will do. You do not need to thaw or hydrate it.
- It is devoid of the unwanted or harmful substances such as rice, grain, potatoes, antibiotics and hormones.
- It contains organs like liver, heart and kidney of the lambs that are highly nutritious.
- It is a bit expensive as compared to the other dog foods in the market.
- Many users had an issue with the packaging.
It is a great choice for feeding your dog except from the fact that it is a bit costly and the packaging problem that was there in some cases.
As the name suggests, it is a limited-ingredient dog food that has only six ingredients in it- Pollock, organic coconut, green peas, celery, chickpeas and spinach.
- It is a purely natural dog food that contains no preservatives, GMOs or related stuff.
- It has dehydrated whole ingredients thus leaving the properties intact. The elements are non-genetically modified and do not contain any chemicals or preservatives.
- It helps in reducing allergies.
- Since it is a dehydrated food, it expands in volume after adding water to the mixture and the new volume becomes four times the volume when packaged.
- The cooking process is quite easy and does not require you to take much trouble.
- Many users have given negative feedbacks to the product since it was unable to suit the tastes of their dogs.
- It does not have any feel-good factor associated with respect to its taste and color.
Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Minimalist Limited Ingredient Dog Food is a safe and healthy choice for your pet and helps in curing its allergies.
It helps in providing a complete nutrition to your dog since is high in protein and also contains some vitamins and minerals.
- It has 80% more protein than the other similar products and this protein is received from turkey and chicken.
- No fillers such as wheat, corn and soy are added. Also, meat by-products are avoided. Only natural products are used, thus helping your pet to enjoy a long, healthy life.
- Your body is supplied with the right amount of probiotics, vitamins and minerals.
- It contains fish and flax omega that are great for maintaining perfect skin and perfect hair.
- It comes directly “from farm to bowl” and is thus available in a fresher variety.
- Some dogs have even been observed to suffer from Diarrhoea after being fed with the product.
- It comes in a pointed shape and can thus be a bit difficult to chew.
Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food supplies protein to your dog from two different sources and also supplies other stuff such as probiotics, vitamins and minerals. However, it may not suit your dog and it is thus better to go for a test before you start giving it to your dog daily.
It is a moderate supplier of proteins and calories and is highly suited for dogs of different breeds and sizes.
- The different ingredients that are contained are free-range chicken and large quantities of organic products such as flaxseed, apples, alfalfa, papayas and basils.
- It also includes vitamins and minerals premix which consists of tricalcium phosphate, chlorine chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, supplements of vitamin D3 and vitamin E, potassium salts like potassium iodide and potassium chloride and amino acid chelates of copper and iron.
- The ingredients are non-genetically modified and devoid of any chemicals and preservatives.
- The meat used here is free of hormones and antibiotics.
- It is ideal for the dogs that cannot digest glutens and grains since it is devoid of those stuff.
- It is AAFCO complete and balanced for the adult dogs.
- It is a product from a reputed home-based company from the US that meets all the quality standards that are applicable.
- It may be difficult for your dog to chew up the bean stems.
So, as you can see, this one offers your pet with a balanced nutrition since it has both proteins and ingredients like vitamins and minerals in the right proportion.
It is a great combination or chicken and rice which is a dog’s favorite. As evident from the name, it is particularly suited for the larger dog breeds and comes in a 30lb pack.
- Each ingredient used is purely natural and is not likely to harm your dog in any way.
- The balanced nutrition provided by the food helps in increasing your dog’s body mass, promotes its health and vitality, ensures that there is an optimum absorption of the food taken and strengthens its bones and joints.
- It is great in terms of taste too.
- Your dog receives protein from four different sources and gets 13% more protein than any other dog food.
- If you have a family of dogs at your home, you would have to buy separate food for the little ones since this product is only applicable for dog species of weight 50lbs or higher.
- It comes in a low quantity as compared to the price.
- The list of ingredients does not match with the actual ingredients that are used here.
Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Large Breed Dog Food is rich in proteins and is a great product that serves all the requirements of especially the dogs of bigger sizes. However, it is advisable that you go through a review site or interact personally with the previous buyers of the product so that they can tell you exactly what it contains and whether it can suit your dog’s breed or medical conditions.
It has real Deboned beef as its primary ingredient along with a whole lot of fresh ingredients incorporated directly from the farm.
- It is not factory-made using any formula but is prepared in the five-star kitchen of Merrick with extra care, thus ensuring a great taste.
- It is high in glucosamine and chondroitin which help in the maintaining healthy hips and joints.
- The organic stuff such as apples, blueberries, potatoes and peas that are rich in vitamins and anti-oxidants are grown in Merrick’s own farm.
- It helps in building lean, healthy muscle tissue thanks to the balance of nutrients present in it. It is devoid of grains but the utilization of other components in the right proportion makes it a great choice among the dog owners.
- It is made in America and meets the different quality standards.
- Your dog may suffer from stomach upset and may also have the tendency to fart after being fed with the product regularly.
As evident from the name, the product is ideal for dogs of different age groups.
- It comprises not one but many kinds of meats such as beef, lamb, chicken, turkey and fish.
- It does not contain any soya, corn or wheat and contains only premium ingredients.
- People with a variety of dogs at their place will find this helpful since it is appropriate for almost all breeds, irrespective of their ages. You do not have to buy different packages for each one of them.
- It is based on a nutritionally dense formula and is a rich source of proteins.
- No artificial flavors, colors, hormones or preservatives are used.
- In spite of containing a considerable amount of proteins, it is a balanced food due to the presence of brown rice, peas, papaya etc.
- It not only helps your dog to be in a good health but also helps it to maintain a healthy skin and fur thanks to the omega 6 and omega 3 present in it.
- The taste usually suits dogs of all breeds.
- It is highly rich in different kinds of ingredients which may lead to loose stool problems in your dog.
- The smell is not pleasant, unlike the other dog foods.
This one is meant for those who are interested in feeding their dogs with organic ingredients such as grains.
- It is highly suited for the pregnant, the choosy ones and the ones with a lot of tantrums.
- It is rich in organic ingredients, particularly the whole grains.
- The higher concentration of proteins and calories helps the dogs to remain active throughout the day.
- It is very easy to cook and looks like canned food on the addition of warm water.
- It is AAFCO complete.
- It also works well for dogs with sensitive digestion system.
- The food becomes gelatinous after preparing it by adding water. Your dog may not like to have it.
- It is overpriced and is thus not affordable for everyone.
- Your dog may not like the beef flavor.
What are the different ingredients that are a must in dog food?
Dog food must contain the different nutritional elements in a proper proportion such as carbohydrates, proteins, fats and oils, vitamins and minerals.Which one among dry and wet foods is better for a dog?
The pet parents differ in their opinion regarding this. For some, dry food is better while the others feel that wet food is better for the dogs. However, researches have revealed that dry foods are much better than wet foods for the following reasons:
- It can be measured easily and accurately and you can feed your dog with the exact amount of food that is required.
- It can be stored conveniently and can thus be preserved for long. Hence, chances of wastage of food are less.
- Dry foods involve a lot of chewing and thus help the dogs to exercise their teeth regularly.
Which protein is necessary for the best dog food?
Proteins are necessary for your dog. However, the right kind of protein in the right amount if required. A dog needs 20 different kinds of amino acids of which 10 are manufactured by themselves and the others should be supplied to them by the food that they take. The food source containing the protein must be easily absorbed by the dog for an easy absorption and that is where the digestibility of protein becomes important. Fish and lamb are the most easily digestible forms of protein and they are thus highly preferred forms of dog protein.
Grains are also digestible protein sources but are not preferred since they are not well-balanced in amino acids. That is the reason why most of the market-available dog foods avoid grains in their manufacture process. Another reason behind this is the tendency of development of allergies in the dogs due to the consumption of grains.
Are fish-based dog foods as nutritious as meat-based ones?
The nutrition value of fish meals is quite high and they are rich in amino acids too. However, a dog cannot receive the complete nutrition from fish meals. So, you must go through the ingredient list of a dog food pack very carefully and make sure whether the nutrients lacking in fish are supplied by the other additional components of the pack.
Why are carbohydrates necessary in dog food?
Carbohydrates help in providing the sufficient amount of energy to the dogs. They are rich in fiber and nutrients and thus help keep the dogs energized and active throughout the day.
How to make sure that the dog food actually contains the components that it claims to?
It is important for a dog food to meet the AAFCO standards. The food and drug administration ascertain what the manufacturer claims to be true.
How can the fats present in the food help the dog?
Fats provide the body with vitamins A, D, E and K. The fatty acids supplied by them help them to get shiny skin and fur.
Why are stuff like apples and carrots present in dog food?
They help the dogs to receive the adequate vitamins and minerals. This is the reason why most of the commonly available dog foods contain these fruits and vegetables just like human foods.
How to understand whether a particular food suits my dog?
If the dog is found to develop some symptoms of stomach problems, wait for a few days and check whether it still persists. It may happen that these are the symptoms of adjusting to the changed diet. If the problem resolves after a few days, it has to be understood that your pet has been acclimatized to it. However, if it continues even after a few days, you should consult your veterinarian and find out whether the food needs to be changed.
From the points discussed above, it is quite clear that the best dog food here is the CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Dog Food for Puppies Adults and Seniors.
As you must have understood by now, proteins are the most important ingredients that are to be looked for in any type of dog food. And CANIDAE Life Stages uses five different sources of proteins, namely, fish, meat, lamb, turkey and beef.
So, if you are confused as to which source of protein you should ideally supply to your dog, this one will be perfect. Also, it supplies the dog with the organic stuff such as papaya and brown rice that are necessary to keep the supply of vitamins and minerals intact. Most of the other contenders are rich in any one source of protein and do not suit many of the dogs as a result. Also, some of them contain only organic ingredients and are thus unable to supply the dog with complete nourishment.
The food pack being suitable for both adults and children is versatile and can be used for all the different dog species that you have at home. It does not contain any red flag items like grains and is thus a great choice for your dog!
Thus, considering all the factors, CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Dog Food for Puppies Adults and Seniors can definitely be regarded as the best dog food!